Investing in stocks is a great way to make money on the side, and you can do it with just a few hundred dollars. Thanks to fractional shares and commission-free trades, platforms like Public.com and Webull make it easy for anyone to invest. She’s a full-time writer, traveler, photographer and lover of street food. Tara has travelled to over 40 countries and in particular, is an expert on living and working in Germany, China, and Italy. When she’s not sharing her advice online, you can find her sipping a glass of wine or slurping a bowl of hot noodles.
Bookkeepers is a company that knows that you want to work for you, not some random faceless company. That’s why they’re committed to giving you the tools to help you build a bookkeeping business that you can continue to grow. If you’re still confused, this three-part video series on getting started as a bookkeeper is a great place to start. If you would like to go even further, you can become a licensed Certified Public Bookkeeper, which goes through the National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers.
Don’t Rush It
You work on your own schedule and can set competitive rates, making this one of the best part-time jobs to grow into a full-time business. Freelance proofreaders only need an internet connection and a computer or laptop. This makes proofreading an excellent gig for stay-at-home parents, digital nomads, students, or anyone who wants a flexible part-time job that isn’t location-dependent.
- With her youngest starting preschool, Kate found herself with an extra 9 hours a week.
- Becoming a self-published author could also help your career aside from simply proving extra cash on the side.
- Although it takes time and effort to become an accountant, many consider the payoff to be well worth the energy.
- A bachelor’s degree is usually not required for entry-level bookkeeping positions.
- Additionally, if you have a few clients who need ongoing work (which is common if you’re writing for websites or blogs), you won’t need a lot of clients.
- At the same time Kate took her bookkeeping course, she was also interested in real estate investing.
- If you’re looking for passive income, buying dividend stocks is one of the best options.
You may want to advertise locally or work to build word-of-mouth referrals. You might be surprised to find out that some accountants actually work as detectives! https://www.bookstime.com/ When a company or employee is accused of fraud, bankruptcy, or embezzlement, they hire a forensic accountant to help with the investigation.
thoughts on “How to Become a Bookkeeper and Make $70 an Hour from Home”
Kate has deliberately built her business around clients that allow her to be flexible with her time. They act as a kind of matchmaking service for bookkeepers and small businesses. Her monthly real estate meetup group was hosting a speed networking night.
A freelance bookkeeper keeps track of a company’s financial transactions. This can include recording revenue and expenses, preparing financial statements, dealing with sales tax, and filing taxes. If you’re a good writer, self-publishing a book or part time accounting e-book can be a great way to make money on the side. And since you’re an accountant, you could write an e-book on various topics related to your profession. For example, you could write a book on tax planning or how to prepare for the CPA exam.
Each listing explains in great detail the position, benefits, and expected salary. If you find a role that suits you, Indeed links directly to the company site so you can easily apply. However, there are numerous of entry-level jobs that pay reasonably well, which means you can make a fairly decent income with most full-time accounting jobs. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average accountant makes almost $70k a year. If you’re looking for a satisfying, flexible, and high paying job, accounting might be the right path for you.
- If you’re interested in breaking into the accounting industry, working as a bookkeeper might be a desirable option.
- Once you’re confident in your abilities, you can start looking for clients.
- This can be challenging, but you can find lots of people who need help with bookkeeping through FlexJobs.
- You can help clients with their finances, advise them on tax planning, or help them to set up their own internal accounting and bookkeeping processes.
- The company will assign clients to you and can focus all your energy on servicing them.
- You can also promote your skills to your friends and family — word of mouth goes a long way.